Friday, July 30, 2004

Am I free to name my dog what I want to name him?

The name I zeroed down on for my new puppy was “Selfish”. There is no deeper implication to it, I just wanted to keep a dog and name him Selfish.

But that wasn't to be the end of the story. Selfish's vet always asks his name again as if she cant understand it, and says, " Selfish?? Is that really his name?" Family members said from day one, that they do not even feel like calling him. Neighbours say that you have finally validated our fears of your semi-sanity. While my ex-girlfriend says that she wished my parents had named me that. Elder brother takes a wholly moral stand to it, saying that naming a dog thus is nothing less than a sin.

Nevertheless, I love this name and so does Selfish who responds to it as if it was his name for the past many births. So there!

6 Comments:

Blogger RS said...

Selfish is an absolutely OK name for a dog. Ok, make that - YOUR dog. :-) Good to see you blogging Shinhaat, keep up the good work.

July 30, 2004 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Jedi said...

"Selfish" is not a bad name although I would have thought it applies more to a cat. But what the heck ! Your dog your name. Whether you name him "Selfish" or "Osama" its totally upto you. Hmm.. that gives me an idea hehe

CFC

August 16, 2004 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Premjit said...

Thx Resh and CFC,
I so much want to bore you both further with interesting anecdotes concerning Selfish, ... maybe some other time...

Cheers,

Prem

August 25, 2004 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger Jain said...

And thus i come to the start!!! haha, it was nice seeing u write, after a long time(well u vanished from MS) and i can say where u have been spending ur time.. speakinf frankly selfish seems more like a girlish name, but anyways, yourdogyourname.

June 10, 2005 at 1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"my ex-girlfriend says that she wished my parents had named me that"

hilarious!

love,
sajju

January 4, 2006 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Harish said...

selfish! is a good name atleast better than what i had named one of my rabbits .. i called him assie as a short form of assole... as he had a very dirty habit of licking my dogs ass... literally!

September 5, 2006 at 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home